The first few days

Our first day home, on Saturday, we took a walk to one of the playgrounds in the neighborhood so the big kids could play. I wore Grant, as I’m used to him on me, and he was very happy about it. He snuggled in. I look tired because I am tired.

His head looks completely unsupported here, but it actually is supported – this is post feeding sleep.

A nap last night on the couch. 

On Saturday night, Grant cluster-fed for about 6 hours starting at 11:30pm. He ate 16 times, with only short breaks between – anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. Then come dawn he finally dropped off for about an hour and a half. 

On Sunday, we had to pack all up and head back to the hospital so Grant could get another bilirubin check. His level is high (which is why he looks a little yellowy in the photos), so he needs to be monitored. Bilirubin is produced in the liver, and if it isn’t flushed out (in pee and poop) via plenty of eating, he gets jaundiced. It’s really common after birth, and Henry went through the same thing. 

The way the hospital checks is by doing a heel stick – they stab the baby’s heel with a tiny sharp – and collect a microvial of blood, which they test in their lab. Both of Grant’s heels have little cuts on them from his back-to-back sticks (the first check was the day before).

Tomorrow we go to the pediatrician for his first appointment. I can’t remember everything we’ll do at this one, but we will go over his bilirubin check from yesterday, he’ll get weighed and measured (including his head), we’ll check how breastfeeding is going, including doing a feed so the doctor can observe his latch and help me if I’m struggling with breastfeeding (it is super hard, but Grant is good at it already). We are already further along than I ever got with the twins – I’m actually amazed at how “easy” it is this time.

Speaking of breastfeeding…while we were in the hospital yesterday, Grant needed to eat. Bob had taken the big kids to a park to play, so I was waiting for him to come back, and asked the registration people if they had a lactation room I could nurse in. Nope! Hospitals don’t seem to have lactation rooms! Our hospital in New York didn’t have one either. In Olean, when I needed a lactation room after Henry’s bilirubin check, their reaction was basically “tough shit lady” – but at Duke Regional, the security guard and the registration lady called all over looking for open rooms for me. I ended up in the chapel, which was fine and worked well. It just baffles me that of all the buildings in all the city, a hospital is where you can’t breastfeed easily. Amazing. 

Sleeping this morning after a big feed. We slept much better last night, we were able to have two longer naps – one an hour and a half, and one two and a half hours. Then from about 9am to noon, we both slept while Bob made pancakes for the big kids and kept them busy. 

2 responses to “The first few days”

  1. They have them. By law, they have to provide their employees with a private room to pump during their shifts.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: